Saturday, August 9, 2008

Goodbye Corina

I wanted to wish Corina and her family all the best today. She has decided to move on to bigger and better things and we will miss her and her parents, who were always a big help at both the meets and at the gym.

When I heard that she was going to be leaving I had something of an epiphany. Just the wording that I used when I thought about it, "she would be leaving." There are a couple of ways that people that leave the gym, each one brings about its' own set of reactions.
Something I wasn't expecting when my wife tricked me into buying the gym, that I would develop the kinds of relationships that we have with the students and their families. You end up spending hours every week with these people in a positive environment and you can't help but to end up as some kind of crazy dysfunctional family.

Inevitably though people leave, for one reason or another all of our students leave us eventually. And it seems to be in one of two ways. The circumstances are always different but it seems to come down to two things; they either quit, or they leave.

There are times when a student or a client is not satisfied with what Juli and I offer at Gymfinity, and that's fine. We don't cater to everyone, we offer a place that fits us and our beliefs and if you don't hold those same beliefs to certain extent eventually you or your child will quit. These tend to be cold, sometimes very unpleasant events. But we understand and if a person isn't happy we'd rather they go where they're happy. The other situation is where a student leaves. These are simply the opposite, where a student and their family say goodbye. These are actually harder in a way because these people you wish wouldn't leave.

Regardless we are glad to have everyone that we still have and look forward to a future with you and we will just have to learn to deal with it when it comes time for you to leave.

No comments: